Thursday, October 06, 2005

Rachael Ray



Is this for real? Is it? Because if it's a joke, it's kinda funny. If not, it's just sad. How do you honestly justify HATING a TV cook? Huh? Seriously. How do you actually put effort into updating a daily journal about how much you hate a television chef? Good lord, do you obsess much? I mean, I can't stand the Boston Red Sox, but you don't see me griping about them on a daily basis. I even feel bad they're getting their asses kicked by the White Sox. Well, maybe I don't feel all that bad...

Back to the Rachael Ray and the topic at hand. If you don't mind grabbing this and that out of your pantry, some of her recipes are pretty good. I wonder if the people who criticize her have actually tried any of her recipes? Probably not. So she's enthusiastic, so she uses abbreviations for things, like extra-virgin olive oil, EVOO. If you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to watch her.

You know, it seems to me that people who sit around watching the Food Network that much fall into three categories. They are:

1. Non-professional foodies. These not-for-profit foodies learn how to make the "grand" or "mother" sauces, or a mirepoix, can tell you what a sauteuse is, spend hours pouring over Sur La Table and Williams-Sonoma catalogs, going to Dean & Deluca and Zabars, and watching cooking shows. Because they love food so much! They own four sets of demitasse cups and artichoke plates. I think watching food being prepared gets them off. Students also fall into this category, more specifically, culinary students, who have no problem eating at McDonalds until they go to cooking school. I know, I was one. Also known as total fucking snobs. Who the fuck is snobby about food? These assholes, that's who. However, they are NOTHING compared to professional foodies, until they become them, that is. Those people are like a rabid form of Martha Stewart. Stay away...

2. Your generic hausfrau. These women just have nothing to do all day after they've cleaned the house, shoved their offspring off to school, where they'll no doubt be beaten up for being losers, and aren't in the mood to watch General Hospital or Judge Judy. So they turn on Emeril, Mario Batali and Alton Brown to keep them company. Aww. It warms the heart. Do they actually cook any of that shit for their families? Yeah, right. You go to Stop & Shop and buy Andouille sausage. See if you can find it there. It's right next to the Chorizo and black and white truffles they don't sell either.

3. The typical 300-pound loser foodie who still lives at home with mommy and daddy, has no job and sits around eating Fritos all day while watching food being prepared. These people really have NOTHING to do. They sit on their asses in front of their plasma TVs that mumsy and dad paid for, then they go on the internet to discuss what they've just watched with other losers...er, I mean foodies, and OHMYFREAKINGGODLOOK! ICANTBELIEVEIT!
ICANDOWNLOADALLTHERECIPES! RIGHTFROMTHEFOODNETWORKWEBSITE! HOORAY! Because like the people from category #1, it gets them off. It really, really does. They get a high or they get an orgasm watching food being prepared.

My point is, there is a place for Rachael Ray. There is. So just let it be. I like her. She's cute, and she isn't committing a crime by using chicken stock from a carton or Bisquick. Guess what assholes, you try working 8 hours a day, coming home and feeding your family of five a decent meal that doesn't come out of a fucking Swanson's box. At least her recipes are quick and easy. They don't call for hard-to-find ingredients and there isn't a lot of prep work. It's a necessity borne from a busy schedule, and hello, it works. Just because the woman uses frozen spinach, she's a fucking heretic. They'd probably hate me because I put Tabasco sauce on everything. Like, oh my God, that has to be a federal crime or like, something. But you know what? Rachael Ray is laughing all the way to the bank, or gesturing enthusiastically, hopefully with her middle finger pointed at her detractors, yes she is.

But probably the biggest point I want to make to these people, if they are so seriously hating this woman:

If you hate Rachael Ray that much, WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU WATCHING HER SHOWS ASSHOLES? Go get a life, for fuck's sake. Secretly, they enjoy watching her, methinks. In fact, they probably Tivo her everyday, too. Fucking tools.

The obvious thing to do would be to simply NOT watch any of her programs. Again, I don't like the Red Sox, so you won't see me watching NESN. It's on my cable, but I don't put it on. Ever.

By the way, Rachael Ray's Swordfish Bites with Puttanesca Salad is sooo freakin' yummo. Oh...and Johnny Damon is NOT going to be a Yankee next season, even though he is, in fact, yummo.

7 comments:

Rima said...

Um, I watch the food network that much and I'm not any of those things. I love food. I'm interested in its origins, celebrations, varieties, associations, etc. I like being able to cook whatever I want to, simply for the love of it, and for the joy of treating people I care about to special meals.

I don't get the hating Rachel Ray thing. You can think she's a dork, she's annoying, whatever, but HATE takes up so much time and energy. How can a tv show be that important to someone? Good lord, are they delusional?

Rima said...

Oh, and though I DO appreciate quality, I'm not a food snob. (and sshh, here's a secret. Food snobs often don't know quality. They know food fashion. Don't tell them.) So because I loff you Kristin, this is for you.

A tub o' cool whip, a cup of sour cream, a half teaspoon of almond or vanilla extract. Blend them all together well and spread it on cake, muffins, whatever you got. Or, eat it with a spoon if you are very naughty and very desperate. :)

Anonymous said...

Very unique blog you have! I'm definitely going to bookmark you! I
have a best online paid survey site. It
covers everything about best online paid survey. Please visit it.

Rod

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristin,

One of the categories in my article directory is recipes ... while searching for blogs on apple crisp recipes, I came across your Rachael Ray posting.

We all know that the best content on the web is produced by bloggers ... unbiased first hand knowledge, experiences and opinions. Nothing to sell and no hidden agendas! As someone who is interested in apple crisp recipes, I believe you will find our recipes category to be of interest.

I am always looking for bloggers to contribute articles and help me to build the directory to everyone's benefit. As a contributor, you get the recognition of having your article published and seen by thousands of web users. The pride and satisfaction of seeing your article published in a prestige directory is hard to beat.

Not all of us are gifted with the ability to write to professional standards of grammatical correctness ... as a result, many bloggers don't bother to have their articles published. I welcome an informal style of writing that matches your personality and fits in with your article content. I also appreciate articles that are uniquely based on your individual experiences, talents and ideas. All I ask is that your submissions do not contain vulgar content, incite hatred or generally offensive.

All this is absolutely free ... please come over and have a look at my blog articles directory for yourself.

Best Regards
Emily

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristin,

One of the categories in my article directory is recipes ... while searching for blogs on mojito recipes, I came across Rachael Ray .

All this is absolutely free ... please come over and have a look at my blog articles directory for yourself.

Best Regards
Emily

Anonymous said...

Hello Kristin,

One of the sections in my article directory is recipes ... while looking for blogs on key lime pie recipes, I discovered Rachael Ray .

Most people believe the best content on the internet is created by bloggers ... original content, experiences and opinions. Nothing to sell and no hidden agendas!

As someone who appears to be interested in key lime pie recipes, I am sure you will find our recipes section to be interesting. I am continually searching for bloggers to submit articles and assist me to expand the directory to all our benefit. By contributing, you not only get the recognition of being an author, but also knowing your submission will be seen by many hundreds of internet surfers. The pride and satisfaction of seeing your article published in a prestige directory is hard to beat.

Not all of us are born with the talent to write to high standards of literacy ... as a consequence, a lot of bloggers don't try to have their articles published.

I like an informal style of writing that matches your personality and fits in with your article content. I welcome articles that are uniquely based on your personal knowledge, experiences and opinions. All I request is that your content does not contain vulgar language, incite hatred or generally offensive.

Without any commitments ... please pop over and browse my blog articles directory for yourself.

Kind Regards

Emily

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristin,

One of the categories in my article directory is recipes ... while searching for blogs on mojito recipes, I came across Rachael Ray .

All this is absolutely free ... please come over and have a look at my blog articles directory for yourself.

Best Regards
Emily