I have this problem. I live at home with my mother because, 1) I'm a complete loser and 2) I'm a complete loser who can't afford to live by herself, although I would love to. So I'm pretty much stuck at home for a while.
Anyway, my dog sleeps in my bedroom with me. Which is fine, except that he comes and goes through the night making it impossible for me to close my bedroom door, unless I want to risk him scratching it up or ripping up the carpet in front of my door. But that wasn't a problem until my mother started doing something very strange.
My bedroom is on the first floor, and hers is on the second floor. She has to walk up a spiral staircase in the dark to get to her room. So what she has been doing is turning on all the lights in the living room and leaving them on all night. What happens then is that the light comes directly into my room and shines right in my face since I sleep on my back. It's like having a flashlight shining in your face while you're sleeping, and it sucks.
So it wakes me up. I toss and turn, and somehow fall back asleep, only to have it wake me up again an hour later. Then I toss and turn and fall asleep again, the same process over and over until I get enough energy to get up and turn it off. By that time, it's 3:00 am, but then at 5:00 my mother gets up to go to work and turns the lights back on.
I don't know what to do. I've asked her not to leave them on, but she keeps doing it anyway. And now I'm so tired I can't see straight. All I want to do is sleep.

4 comments:
Hmmm...several things occur to me: a) go to bed AFTER your mom does, and turn out all the lights, b)change your bedroom around so the light doesn't shine on your bed, c)train your dog to stay put for the night. The last one might be impossible, though.
B.
You should get one of those light-sensitive nightlights and plug it in by the stairs. It turns on when it's dark, and turns off when it's light. I've got one by my staircase and it works great! It actually puts out quite a bit of light so your mom can still see in the dark, but not so much that it would be disruptive to your sleep. Also, since it turns itself on and off automatically, the bulb will last longer.
-SueB.
How about a "doggie door" for your bedroom door? ;)
Suz
Ever tried using one of those eye masks to block out light? This may sound crazy, but when I moved to my current home I realized I could not get any sleep because there was too much light in the room - my bedroom is in the front of the house, right under a street light!
I got one of those eye masks, and it "works like a charm"!
Post a Comment