Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Million Dollar Baby

I have a couple of things to say about this film, without giving anything away, because I think to do that just sucks.

First, to all the critics, right-wing conservatives and activists who don't like this movie: Have you forgotten that it's a MOVIE? That's right, a movie. Not real. Don't let the character's decisions in movies influence you in a way that gives you no hope. It's just a story played out on film, and if all or part of it actually makes you think, then all the better. Ultimately, not all films are happy ones.

Second, characters in movies don't always do the "right" thing. Sometimes they do the "wrong" thing. How boring would it be if everyone did the "right" thing all the time? It would be like watching the Brady Bunch everytime you went to the theater. Sometimes, the protaganists in movies have to make hard decisions, much like in real life. Sometimes the answers aren't always cut and dried, like in real life. And who can judge what is "right" and "wrong" for any one particular person in the first place? People have different beliefs, what can be the solution to a struggle for some, may seem horrific to others. But the fact remains, this is still just a story, and just because you don't like some of the subject matter, does not mean others have to agree. It certainly does not make the movie crap, either.

Please don't let idiots like this stop you from seeing any movie. I love movies. I watch a lot of movies, and I think all movies are great, even Gigli. (or maybe not. I should probably rethink that one).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I was going to see it anyway, and now you've piqued my curiosity even more. I haven't read any bad reviews though. Consistently good reviews in my neck of the woods.

LQ

Kristin said...

They're not bad reviews, I don't think this movie really got any, but some people are upset over a certain plot point in the movie, which I think is silly.