For about 10 years now, my dog and cat have been carrying on a very lovely and touching interspecies romance. They're devoted to each other.
Of course, they're also living in sin.
So today, as I was walking my dog in the rain, I could tell he wanted to speak to me about something. (Yes, he talks to me. In fact, he bet me $50 that the Red Sox would win the world series. He won, so I had to pay up. Spent the whole thing on Milk Bones, he did.)
He was sort of beating around the bush, when I finally asked him what it was he was trying to say to me.
"Kristin" he said, "Charlotte and I want to get married."
Well, I didn't know what to think. I mean, on the one hand, that's wonderful. On the other hand, being a cat and a dog, who knows what hardships they'd face.
I thought for a minute, and then said, "Well, Tuck, you know, they don't allow cats and dogs to marry each other in this country. In fact, they don't allow animals to marry at all." I continued, "Some people would not take kindly to a dog and a cat living in holy matrimony. They'd say it's not normal."
He looked a bit dejected, but then he said "But why should it matter to anyone but us?"
I said "Because, when people don't agree with something, they automatically assume it's wrong. They find superficial ways to make it wrong."
He looked at me, with his big brown eyes and said "But why should it matter what we are when we love each other?"
And you know what? He's right.
So the wedding is in May. It's going to take place under the big oak tree in Bartlett park. If you want to come, let me know, I'll send you an invite.
Now I just have to figure out how to keep the bride from running up the big oak tree and the groom from peeing on it.
Reception to follow at Petco.

4 comments:
Please let me know where they're registered.
-Raven
wonderful. thanks for this.
See, I can post about things other than Hugh!!!
Oh, they're registered at Drs. Foster & Smith and PetsMart.
Post a Comment